innpeer-stats

James Ralston qralston+ml.inn-workers at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Jan 2 19:50:14 UTC 2001

On 30 Dec 2000, Russ Allbery wrote:

> should we go ahead and drop the concept of obsolete headers in innd?
> innd is currently still stripping:
>
>     Date-Received
>     Posted
>     Posting-Version
>     Received
>     Relay-Version
>
> when it sees them.  This doesn't seem required by any standard, and
> actually I think we're more correct from a standards perspective if we
> don't touch headers other than Xref and Path.

This would also have the practical benefit of making it easier to
gateway a newsgroup with a local IMAP mail folder, which is something
I'm going to have to do shortly.

Ideally, I want to minimize the header conversions that will be
necessary, because (IMHO) the risk of having a "news" header break a
mail client (or the risk of having a "mail" header break a news
client) is less than the risk of screwing up the header
transformations.  Mucking with headers is a briar patch, with many
sharp and pointy things to jab at one...

--
James Ralston, Information Technology
Software Engineering Institute