Rebuilding history after a powerdown

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Jan 9 13:03:01 UTC 2001

Stefano di Sandro <s.disandro at pisa.iol.it> writes:

> Have a look here (this is the last logged error line)

> makehistory[25443]: tradspool: can't determine class: @05000000003E000080CC0000000000000000@: Bad article handle

> So I inspected the dbase:
> news-sh$ sm -i @05000000003E000080CC0000000000000000@
> it/comp/appl/access: 32972

> news-sh$ ls ~/spool/articles/it/comp/appl/access/32972

> File does not exist! Numbers stop at 32002.

Hm.  Is there any chance that something might be removing articles out of
the spool while makehistory was running?  As near as I can tell, what's
happening is that OpenArticle is returning NULL, which causes the behavior
that you see above, but the only times that it does this without also
logging some other error message are when the article it's trying to open
doesn't exist and where it doesn't have any body.

It looks to me like this is the former case, which matches the token
information you're seeing, but I don't see how that could happen since
tradspool_next uses opendir and readdir to get names of articles to open.

So I'm rather baffled.