Performance of INN expire in CURRENT for tradspool

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Jan 16 14:17:58 UTC 2001

Some folks were wondering about the relative performance of expire for
tradspool spools in CURRENT vs. an INN 1.7.2-insync-1.1d server.  Here are
some statistics for my current servers, both of which start news.daily at
4:08am.  Note that 1.7.2 doesn't include the expirerm time in the output,
or the expireover time, but since news.daily waits for them before sending
its report one can determine the total expire time from the Date headers
of the report.

Executive summary:  news.stanford.edu is a somewhat slower machine with
slightly faster disk and only about 2.7 million articles in the spool
rather than about 3 million.  It takes 25% longer to run nightly expire.
So the performance of nightly expire with tradindexed is within about 25%
of the performance of expire with old traditional spool.

I'll call that a success, and probably good enough for most purposes
(although I'd like to try to get it faster; expire still takes a really
long time, longer than it should).

news.stanford.edu
  System:       Sun Ultra 1, single processor
  Memory:       320MB
  Disk:         Sun A1000 external hardware RAID 1+0
  Version:      INN 2.4.0 (20010112 CVS prerelease)
  Storage:      Binaries, jobs, and news.lists.filters in CNFS
                One local newsgroup in timehash
                Everything else in tradspool
  Overview:     tradindexed

Expire messages:
expireover start Tue Jan 16 04:14:07 PST 2001: ( -z/news/log/expire.rm)
    Article lines processed  2776273
    Articles dropped            1234
    Overview index dropped      1262
expireover end Tue Jan 16 04:57:23 PST 2001
        expirerm start Tue Jan 16 04:57:23 PST 2001
        expirerm end Tue Jan 16 04:57:30 PST 2001
expire begin Tue Jan 16 04:58:02 PST 2001: (-v1)
    Article lines processed  2791817
    Articles retained        2752886
    Entries expired            38931
    Old entries dropped        96299
    Old entries retained       37035
expire end Tue Jan 16 05:41:32 PST 2001
        all done Tue Jan 16 05:41:32 PST 2001

  Total time elapsed: 1 hour, 33 minutes.

nntp.stanford.edu:
  System:       Sun Ultra 2, dual processor
  Memory:       384MB
  Disk:         Sun SPARCstorage Array, software Veritas RAID 0+1
  Version:      INN 1.7.2-insync-1.1d
  Storage:      Pure traditional spool
  Overview:     Traditional

Expire messages:
expire begin Tue Jan 16 04:08:32 PST 2001: (-v1 -z/var/log/news/expire.rm)
    Article lines processed  3246605
    Articles retained        3018229
    Entries expired           228376
    Files unlinked            237280