freenix stats with inn-cvs ... ?

Fabien Tassin fta at sofaraway.org
Wed Jan 17 23:23:09 UTC 2001

According to Sameh Ghane:

> Le (On) Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 11:05:43AM -0800, Rich Skrenta ecrivit (wrote):
> >
> > 5.  Add a line to cron to submit the stats.  I'm not sure what the
> >     best day is -- probably the 1st of the month and not the 28th
> >     like I have here.
>
> I have seen that it is easier for every one, especially for people dealing with
> an old inpaths version, to submit stats on a daily basis.
>
> You can send stats every day in order to keep less/smaller files. Otherwise,
> you can submit stats for any month until the 5th of the next month.

The original Top 1000 worked differently (*) as the number of articles seen
from a site was limited. AFAIR, the limit was only a few millions meaning that
if a site submits stats for 1 to say 2.000.000 articles, its data
were used as is, else, they were normalized to 2.000.000.

Full feeds are about 1.2 to 1.7M articles these days so I assume the limit
should be much higher now but this has some bad effects.. smaller sites become
useless (ie irrelevants) for the top and it is also very easy to cheat by
sending billions of forged stats.

(*) well, in fact, I don't know exactly how your new script is working. Perhaps
you could explain it :)

Fabien Tassin -+- fta at sofaraway.org