documentation update

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Jan 22 05:22:35 UTC 2001

Marco d'Itri <md at linux.it> writes:

> GnuPG now can verify out of the box RSA signatures, INSTALL should be
> fixed. (Actually, I see no reason to use commercial PGP nowadays,
> anybody has a different opinion?)

I just poked around on the GnuPG web pages, and it still says the same
stuff that it always has.  It would have been cool if they'd made this
clearer.  (I see that you also need pgpgpg for pgpverify to work
properly.)

I'm building the latest GnuPG and pgpgpg right now to try this out....

Hm, the person who wrote pgpgpg probably only uses Linux or maybe *BSD
because his configure script is invalid Bourne shell syntax.  Okay,
patched that....

Okay, yup, looks like it works fine.  Cool.  I'll look at patching INSTALL
and send the pgpgpg mainatiner the above patch.

> BTW, the autoconf check for Berkeley is not useful at all on linux,
> where in some cases libdb is in /usr/lib and the headers in
> /usr/include/db2.

If we look for /usr/include/db2 (and /usr/include/db3 I assume?) and if
found assume that -ldb2 and -ldb3 will work without any special -L flags,
would that work for Linux?  Does anyone see any problems with that?