readers.conf

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Jan 22 08:00:53 UTC 2001

Eric Richter <richter at dds.nl> writes:

> I'm trying to migrate from inn 2.2 to 2.3.1, but I can't connect to the
> server with a reader. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

> Can anyone tell me how to make readers.conf work?

> In 2.2 I uses nnrp.access as follows:
> *::::!*
> stdin:Read Post:::*
> localhost:Read Post:::*

The default uncommented line in the sample readers.conf handles this.

> 1xx.0.0.1:Read Post:::*
> 1xx.x.*.*:Read Post:::*
> 1xx.x.*.*:Read Post:::*
> *.hsij.nl:Read Post:::*

The commented-out parts of the sample readers.conf handle this.  This is
just a matter of assigning a user identity to those address ranges and to
those DNS names, which should be pretty easy to do following the model of
the commented-out examples.

> 2xx.1xx.*.*:Read Post:xxx:xxxx:*
> 1xx.1xx.*.*:Read Post:xxx:xxxx:*
> 1xx.1xx.xxx.xxx:Read Post:xxx:xxxx:*

For these, you want to use ckpasswd.  Set up an auth group with a hosts
key matching those IP addresses and specify ckpasswd as the auth program,
and then match the resulting user strings with an access group that grants
them read/post to *.  See the examples in the readers.conf man page for
various things similar to this, and see the ckpasswd man page for details
on how to create a file of usernames and passwords.