expireover: OVctl(OVSTATALL) failed after upgrading to INN-2.3.1 from 2.3.0

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Jan 29 10:54:47 UTC 2001

Olaf Titz <olaf at bigred.inka.de> writes:

>> I noticed however, that libinn.so.2 and libstorage.so.2 were symbolic
>> links to libinn.so.2.0.0.OLD and libstorage.so.2.0.0.OLD - I changed
>> these to point to libinn.so.2.0.0 and libstorage.so.2.0.0, and ran
>> ldconfig, which changed them back to the .OLD versions. After removing
>> the .OLD files and running ldconfig again, the symbolic links were
>> changed to point to the new versions, and expireover now seems to run

> This is a problem which I have observed since INN 2.0; I think a note
> about this belongs in the installation instructions. I'm not sure what
> the reason really is.

Oh!  It's ldconfig that's doing that!

Thank you!  I've been trying to figure out what was going on there for
quite a while.  Hm.  Well, this problem would then be fixed if we started
really versioning the shared libraries properly, but I've been
intentionally *not* doing that because right now the interface is in
severe flux and we don't install the header files, and no one really
should be developing against the current interface.  I need to add
something to INSTALL about that.

I wonder if we could use some other extension besides .OLD that wouldn't
have this problem.