History API heads up

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Jul 9 08:32:35 UTC 2001

Alex Kiernan <alexk at demon.net> writes:

> I'm going to start landing this in the next few days, whilst the changes
> look widespread, much of it is just consolidating the history access
> stuff to go through the library.

> Theres a few wrinkles need tidying:

> - dbz.c, dbz.h should probably move into the libhist/hisv6

Yup, definitely.  Can we call the directory history rather than libhist?
(I hope that doesn't break anything!)  It should be clearer.

> - tagged hash history needs hauling out into a separate implementation

One could almost use a C preprocessor to do that from the existing dbz.c.

> - `#ifdef CANT_DO_THIS' in expire.c needs resolving (the -i and -x
> options)

That may need some work with the interfaces down the road to make sure the
hooks are available to do this sort of thing.

> AFAIK its fully backward compatible - I've been swapping between 2.3.2
> and 2.4-current regularly without rebuilding stuff.

Cool!

Feel free to land stuff as-is as long as it all builds so that we have it
in CVS and can start cleaning up the remaining wrinkles.  The only thing
that would be cool to change before committing it all is the directory
name (history instead of libhist) if I was reading your note above
correctly.