Log rotation (unwanted.log, tally.unwanted)

Bettina Fink laura at hydrophil.de
Mon Jul 16 13:25:01 UTC 2001

Katsuhiro Kondou <Katsuhiro_Kondou at isc.org> wrote:

> I found where the problem is, while I'm slowly :) working this.
> tally.unwanted is NOT needed.  innreport DOES take that part.
> The problem is that old unwanted.log is moved to pathlog/OLD
> before innreport runs.  Innreport believes the old path of
> unwanted.log is pathlog/unwanted.log.  Attached should work,
> and please tell me if so.  I'll commit then.

I patched scanlogs accordingly and now the unwanted.log looks
much better, thx!

The only strange (?) thing I've noticed is that unwanted.log
and OLD/unwanted.log.1.gz are identical. So if you want
yesterday's stage of the unwanted.log, you'll need to access
OLD/unwanted.log.2.gz. For all other logs files, yesterday's
stage is the 1.gz version.

That behaviour was different with INN-1.x:

[~/log]$ head -3 unwanted.log
282906 alt.chello.binaries
153457 alt.binaries.sounds.mp3
107771 alt.binaries.movies

[~/log]$ zcat OLD/unwanted.log.1.Z | head -3
263338 alt.chello.binaries
136469 alt.binaries.sounds.mp3
100754 alt.binaries.movies

So OLD/unwanted.log.1.Z is yesterday's stage (as one would
expect).

This is INN-2.3.3pre with your patch:

[~/log]$ head -3 unwanted.log
158 rec.pets.cats
90 comp.os.linux
84 comp.databases.postgresql.general

[~/log]$ zcat OLD/unwanted.log.1.gz | head -3
158 rec.pets.cats
90 comp.os.linux
84 comp.databases.postgresql.general

unwanted.log and OLD/unwanted.log.1.gz are the same, yesterday's
stage is OLD/unwanted.log.2.gz.

But I can live with that, I'm happy enough that unwanted.log is
something useful again. ;-)

Bye,
Bettina