Help Please - server won't start

Katsuhiro Kondou Katsuhiro_Kondou at isc.org
Thu Jul 19 14:38:26 UTC 2001

In article <OF0873F624.680A4A87-ON85256A8E.004CCC8A at cca-int.com>,
	Jim_Marnell at cca-int.com wrote;

} I made the mistake of modifying the expire.ctl settings and then running
} new.daily as root. I then ran chown -r news:news /usr/local/news in an
} attempt to fix it.

All you need to do in this case is 'chown -R news:news
pathdb pathspool pathlog and pathoverview'.

} Now the server won't start. No clues in the log directory but
} /var/adm/messages shows:
} Jul 16 14:39:11 xxxxxx inndstart: can't setgroups: Not owner
} Jul 16 14:39:11 xxxxxx inndstart: seteuid(0) failed: Not owner
} All ownerships appear to be OK (i.e. news is owner of everything under /usr/local/news).
} Can anyone offer suggestions to help resolve this?

As to inndstart, it must be root:news.  And startinnfeed
also needs to be fixed like such.  There could be two other
program:inews or rnews.  In any case;

# find /usr/local/news -perm -4000 -print'

may be your friend.
--
Katsuhiro Kondou