shrinking ovdb files?

Ron Jarrell jarrell at solaris.cc.vt.edu
Wed Jul 25 17:42:21 UTC 2001

At 04:48 PM 7/25/01 +0100, Alex Kiernan wrote:

>Ron Jarrell <jarrell at solaris.cc.vt.edu> writes:
>
>> At 02:29 PM 7/24/01 -0400, Ron Jarrell wrote:
>>

>> >Is there anyway to make the ovdb files *shrink*?  They're certainly not
>> >reusing space well.  They're growing and growing.  I now note that
>> >they're using 8.3G of a 9G partition, and real soon now will overflow;
>> >despite the fact that I *know* I'm loosing articles off the end of the
>> >cnfs buffers constantly; I only keep about 3 days of the binaries.
>>
>> Well, there's one sure way to make them shrink.. Delete them. Since
>> they just overflowed and crippled the server.
>> Here's hoping it doesn't take me 5 days to rebuild the history file.
>>

>You can split them across several slices/disks using the DB_CONFIG
>file; there's details in the FAQ:

Yea, if I had lots of free space lying around.  I suppose I could borrow part
of the log partition.  But that would just cure the symptom;  those file shouldn't
be growing like that, there's a steady state number of articles on the system,
so new overview entries should be reusing freed up space in the database,
and it's obviously *not*...