INN-2.3.2 Dies Without Reason

Alan Shackelford ashackel at jhmi.edu
Fri Jun 1 16:28:30 UTC 2001

We have just completed an upgrade from 2.2.2 to 2.3.2, which amounts to a fresh install. Nothing was saved, but we kept the old etc directory to steal info from. The innd process comes up normally, hands read requests off to nnrpd normally, and it accepts commands from ctlinnd. As soon as we edit the innfeed file to allow our incoming feed to commence, we can see the connection occur in the syslog file. Shortly after that the server dies. For a while we were getting the old "ME source lost . Exiting" error, but we cleaned out the newsfeeds file to show no feeds, and that stopped.

I have seen a few messages in the archives  about this sort of problem, but no real diagnosis has been discussed, and no solution proposed, as far as I can see. I am trying to get with my upstream newsfeed and ask them to delete the batch that is headed this way, so the connection won't be so brutal, but I wanted to post here first to see if any of you have come through this problem cleanly. Thanks for any suggestions.

Alan Shackelford
Johns Hopkins Enterprise Services Group
Baltimore, Maryland