Problem with new articles not being visible to newsreaders

Michael Coxe mc at loudcloud.com
Tue Jun 26 23:01:32 UTC 2001

Katsuhiro Kondou wrote:

> In article <3B32A050.A1BCD04F at loudcloud.com>,
>         Michael Coxe <mc at loudcloud.com> wrote;
>
> } mail2news script (which run rnews). The articles are created,
> } they get logged into the overview db for the specific newsgroup,
>
> How did you find the overview data is updated?

I looked in the specific *.DAT file for the newsgroup in question.
For example, for a newsgroup called Loudcloud.General.GEEKS, I looked
in ~news/spool/overview/L/G/G/Loudcloud.General.GEEKS.DAT. I compared
this listing with ~news/spool/articles/Loudcloud/General/GEEKS/*.

How does the .IDX file play into this. I don't understand how this
under the hood stuff works, other than guessing. Other than it having
the same timestamp as the .DAT file I don't know if it's OK.

Is there any way to get a better understanding of INN internals other
than digging into the source code?

 - michael