Assorted history questions

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sat Mar 3 11:20:12 UTC 2001

Alex Kiernan <alexk at demon.net> writes:

> I'm just going over what I've implemented and I think I've got it wrong
> here... I can't imitate the deletion of the token when an article has
> expired, but should still be remembered.

Oh!  Right, now I remember... that's what threshold was for.  If the entry
was newer than threshold, its storage token would just be purged in the
event of expiration.  If it was older, it would be removed from the
history file entirely.

So everything gets passed to the callback, the callback returns true to
keep and false to purge or something like that, and purge means either
remove the storage API token but keep the entry or remove the entry
entirely depending on the threshold value.  And with that, entries without
storage API tokens could be processed based solely on the threshold value
without ever calling the callback.

That isn't maximally flexible, but it's sufficient power to implement
current expire mechanisms.