Natterings about history files

Forrest J. Cavalier III mibsoft at epix.net
Sat Mar 3 17:40:23 UTC 2001

> > nnrpd lookup by message ID should change to be a look through the
> > overview file, and then a look through every per-date file.
>
> How do you do lookups by message ID via overview?

I estimate, but have not measuered, that most of the requests by
message ID come from the referrer header.  That means it is
likely that the message is in the current newsgroup.

Does nnrpd check the current newsgroup before doing a history
lookup?  I thought it used to, but I don't recall.

That is what I meant by looking up the message ID in overview.
Even a linear probe of 1000 messages (probably already
in memory) is going to be way faster than an open of
2 day-history files.)