History API docs

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Mar 4 06:45:08 UTC 2001

Alex Kiernan <alexk at demon.net> writes:

> Here's the documentation as far as I've got; I'm still wrestling with
> how to handle some of the makedbz/makehistory issues, but I figured
> getting feedback on this would be a sensible thing (I've just realised
> pod2text has emboldened with *bold*, which I guess is kind confusing):

Yeah, pod2text doesn't do very well with man-page style library
documentation where * means something else.

Looking this over, this looks good, except that I think we do want to add
another interface besides HISwrite to write entries that are just a
message ID (since some history mechanisms may only implement that
interface and not HISwrite).  Something like HISremember?  Not sure of a
good name.

>     HISexpire expires the history database associated with
>     *history*. Entries in the database with an arrival time less than
>     *threshold* are automatically deleted from the database, messages
>     with an arrival time greater than or equal to threshold are passed
>     to the discrimination function *exists*.

See my other message for how I think this should work... I think that the
automatic deletion should only apply to entries without an associated
token (the rest should be passed to exists).  I'm not sure if entries with
arrival times newer than the threshold should be passed to exists or not.

This all looks *really* good.  Thank you!