Natterings about history files

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Mar 8 20:12:31 UTC 2001

bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> writes:
> Russ Allbery  <rra at stanford.edu> wrote:

> | With HISreplace, we can obviously get that down to just one stat.  That
> | one sweep through all of the spool is necessary for CNFS (but should be
> | fairly fast -- I have this sneaking suspicion that RETR_STAT could be made
> | a lot faster for CNFS, but I've not looked at the code long enough to be
> | sure) and is necessary if you're deleting articles out of the spool via
> | mechanisms that INN doesn't know about.  But we should probably have a
> | mechanism whereby we can turn it off for people who don't want it.

> Stat each article? That could take forever! By the end of the year I
> will be at 3TB/server, and the though of stating that kind of makes my
> blood run cold.

INN is currently doing that during expire.  That's why it's so slow.  The
notion of "stat" for CNFS is an interesting one, though, since you can
actually figure out all the information you need just from the bitmaps and
the headers, I believe.

I haven't looked at the current algorithm to see if it's as efficient as
it can be.