new controlchan, candidate release

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Mar 11 05:35:56 UTC 2001

Marco d'Itri <md at Linux.IT> writes:

> http://www.linux.it/~md/software/cc.tgz

In general, this looks good to me.  I'd be happy to include this as is.
Only things I noticed...

- Storing information from multiple occurances of the same header is
  always annoying.  It's tempting to just use a module like News::Article,
  but that's probably a bad idea.  I'd recommend keeping the newlines in
  the header value if possible and appending continuation lines with the
  exact whitespace they have, and then adding values of additional
  occurances of the same header by appending the value following a newline
  but without any leading whitespace.

  For what controlchan does, this probably isn't going to make any
  difference at all, but it will make controlchan consistent with what I
  expect the filtering interface to eventually cough up to embedded
  filters, and it's information-preserving (although it doesn't preserve
  the relative order of different headers -- you need to do something like
  News::Article does for that, and it's probably overkill).

- It may make some of the handlers (the ones that send mail) more readable
  to use heredocs rather than long concatenated strings.

Both of these are things that can easily be dealt with later and shouldn't
hold up integrating this code.

> - in place hooks for pgpverify, docheckgroups and
>   newgroup::checkgroupname(), just drop a file in $inn::controlprogs
> - groups descriptions are always updated on newgroups

This is excellent.  Thank you!