Natterings about history files

bill davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Mar 13 17:53:07 UTC 2001

In article <ylsnko2f35.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu>,
Russ Allbery  <rra at stanford.edu> wrote:

| bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> writes:
| > Nicholas Geovanis  <n-geovanis at nwu.edu> wrote:
|
| > | You should only have to compile with "-bmaxdata", right? (OK, I'm
| > | assuming that you're using IBM's compiler) And the 2GB limit is only
| > | for the data segment; stack and program text are in separate segments
| > | and don't count against it.
|
| > Yes, and why that's not the default for INN on AIX I couldn't say.
|
| Not many people run news on AIX.  Patches are *definitely* welcome.

Well, the above is the option the IBM compiler and linker want, but
there is a one line shell script which applies an octal patch with dd
(I'm not making this up, folks) to allow executables to have >256MB data
space. I will mail you the patch, you can stick it in contrib, I guess,
for anyone running expire on a large history system.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc