Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) compliancy?

Marco d'Itri md at Linux.IT
Wed Mar 21 20:59:39 UTC 2001

On Mar 21, James Ralston <qralston+ml.inn-workers at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

 >> I don't think there is any real difference between
 >> /usr/lib/news/auth and the current /usr/lib/news/bin/auth .
 >Probably not.  But if PATHBIN has /usr/lib as a prefix, then it cannot
 >contain binaries that are meant to be executed directly, and the main
 >point of PATHBIN seems to be to contain such binaries.
The only INN binary which is usually executed by an user is ctlinnd,
which in my debian packages I install in /usr/sbin. Everything else goes
to /usr/lib/news/bin, I don't want to pollute the path with mostly
useless binaries. To use most of them you have to su - news anyway or
you'll probably create file with the wrong owner.

 >More generally speaking, keep in mind that these are only two
 >examples.  There will be more situations like this.  If your answer to
 >my question of "Do we care if more configurable directories are
 >created?" is "yes", then please just say so, rather than trying to
"yes".
And the examples you described so far can be easily solved by moving
files in the package building script.

--
ciao,
Marco