Banner question

Bettina Fink laura at hydrophil.de
Fri Mar 23 08:42:58 UTC 2001

Hi,

on one of my servers all the users not coming from several
special domains have to authorize themselves via USER/PASS.

I don't like nnrpd's banner:

| 200 [Server] InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.3.2 (20010322 prerelease)
| ready (posting ok).
         ^^^^^^^^^^
| post
| 480 Authentication required for command

The "posting ok" in the banner

* causes misleaded complaints "Your server is POST open!"

* makes the server end up in some "fancy" lists of "POST open
  servers"

* attracts e.g. spammers to try if that "480" goes away if you
  just try connecting the server hard and fast enough or enter
  some "exploit" strings (aka garbage)

Is there a possibility that nnrpd shows up with "201" first for
the authorization candidates?

Bye,
Bettina