nnrpd.pid

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Mar 26 21:09:02 UTC 2001

Jeffrey M Vinocur <jeff at litech.org> writes:

> Note that Russ doesn't like daemon mode and thinks spawning from inetd
> is better, in which case you don't have that problem.

There are pluses and minuses either way.  Running nnrpd from tcpserver is
simpler, but daemon mode should be more efficient.

The thing I don't like about daemon mode is that it has to start as root.
I have this idea to eventually combine inndstart and startinnfeed and
teach it how to start nnrpd in daemon mode as well, so that there's only
one program to audit and it does exactly the same thing for all three
programs (modulo stuff that they need done differently, like not opening a
port for innfeed).