Response code "482" / XPATH

Bettina Fink laura at hydrophil.de
Tue Mar 27 16:42:12 UTC 2001

Hi,

two questions regarding RFC 2980 (Common NNTP Extensions), sorry
if that has been discussed before (in which case I would appreciate
some pointers):

a). XPATH

| 2.10 The XPATH command
|
|    XPATH <message-id>
|
|    The XPATH command is used to determine the filenames in which an
|    article is filed.  It first appeared in INN.
|
|    The required parameter message-id is the message id of an article as
|    shown in that article's message-id header.  According to RFC 1036
|    [3], all message ids for all articles within the netnews environment
|    are unique, but articles may be crossposted to multiple groups.  The
|    response to an XPATH command will include a listing of all filenames
|    in which an article is stored separated by spaces or a response
|    indicating that no article with the specified message-id exists.  The
|    returned data is only useful if the news client knows the
|    implementation details of the server.  Because of this, it is
|    recommended that client avoid using this command.

|      223 path1[ path2 ...]
|      430 no such article on server

200 [server] InterNetNews server INN 2.2.3 [...] ready
xpath <99on89$9b8$1 at krell.zikzak.de>
223 de/rec/tv/misc/68158

But

200 [server] InterNetNews server INN 2.3.2 (20010326 prerelease) ready
xpath <99on89$9b8$1 at krell.zikzak.de>
500 Syntax error or bad command

"xpath" is listed as a "Legal command" regarding "help".

b). Response code "482"

| 3.1.1 Original AUTHINFO
| [...]
| The 482 code will also be returned when the AUTHINFO commands are not
| entered in the correct sequence (like two AUTHINFO USERs in a row, or
| AUTHINFO PASS preceding AUTHINFO USER).

200 [server] InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.3.2 (20010326 prerelease) ready (posting ok).
authinfo pass blah
482 USER required

But

200 [server] InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.3.2 (20010320 prerelease) ready (posting ok).
authinfo user blah
381 PASS required
authinfo user blah
381 PASS required
authinfo user blah
381 PASS required
authinfo user blah authinfo user blah (just in case I misunderstood "in a row" ;-)
381 PASS required

Bye,
Bettina