New controlchan landed

bill davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon May 7 15:30:45 UTC 2001

In article <ylg0eh7ebr.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu>,
Russ Allbery  <rra at stanford.edu> wrote:

| Matti Saarinen <mjs at cc.tut.fi> writes:
|
| >         Well, I upgraded to the CURRENT pulled on 2001-05-06 and
| >         controlchan does not seem to work:
|
| > May  7 10:20:26 news2.cc.tut.fi controlchan[6288]: Unrecognized character \x05 at /usr/local/news/bin/control/ line 1.  Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/news/bin/controlchan line 55.
|
| >         I am not so familiar with perl that I could immediatly find
| >         out what is happening there. Older controlchan appears to
| >         be working.
|
| That definitely looks like a Perl bug; it means that $1 is empty by the
| time Perl gets to the require in the code:
|
| foreach (readdir CTL) {
|     next if not /^([a-z\.]+\.pl)$/ and not -f "$inn::controlprogs/$_";
|     eval { require "$inn::controlprogs/$1" };
|
| which should be impossible.  Bleh.  Anyone else have 5.6.0 to try this
| out?

  I haven't tried this, or even looked at the code, take this as an
educated guess... If this is a list of control message types being read
from a config file, does it end in a blank line, and if so is that
thrown away? I have shot myself in that foot repeatedly!
--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc