controlchan testing

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue May 8 15:13:55 UTC 2001

Just got three newgroups for fr.* groups and my test server running the
new controlchan only acted on one of them.  After that one, there was an
error:

May  8 07:47:28 headwall.Stanford.EDU controlchan[23753]: Cannot rename /var/news/tmp/newgroup.23753: Cross-device link (<newgroup-fr.comp.lang.postscript-0 at usenet-fr.news.eu.org>)

Looks like newgroup.pl is assuming that it can rename from $inn::tmpdir to
the database directory, which probably isn't a good assumption.  (I keep
the history file on a separate partition.)  My preference for a fix is
probably to write the new newsgroups file into the same directory as the
current one instead.  Unless there are objections, I can go do that.

(In general, the best approach is to just assume that you can never rename
files between directories, and only relax that assumption if you have
strong evidence to the contrary.)

As near as I can tell, what happened to the other two fr.* newgroup
messages was that they had already been written by INN to controlchan and
then controlchan exited due to the above error and threw them away?  Not
sure how else to explain that they aren't in any batch file, controlchan
is now running happily, they aren't mentioned in the logs at all, and yet
the control messages do exist on the server.