Config parsing (1/4): General principles

Forrest J. Cavalier III mibsoft at epix.net
Thu May 10 16:56:29 UTC 2001

>     This principle is intended to outlaw the proliferation of
>     parsers; INN should have a single configuration parser that
>     everything uses. It's also intended to outlaw syntactic
>     differences between different configuration files.

I think that is unnecessarily restrictive.

The rest of the philosophy and general principles
are great, and some points were discussed here
some time ago.

I say stick the API in, but then don't "outlaw syntactic
differences".  Then Fabien can provide interfaces to
use his configuration stuff.  Other sites would be
able to bolt database back-ends onto INN.

Maybe some sites want to use the semantics of
nnrp.access instead of readers.conf for example.

If the code gets modified to go through the API, then
why do you care that it comes from a configuration
file with an outlawed syntax?