Design issues for nntp storage manager

Miquel van Smoorenburg list-inn-workers at news.cistron.nl
Fri May 25 10:42:27 UTC 2001

In article <20010525120055.H629 at wonderland.linux.it>,
Marco d'Itri <md at Linux.IT> wrote:

>On May 25, Alex Kiernan <alexk at demon.net> wrote:
>
> >> And optionally support something like:
> >>
> >> pattern.*:XREF
> >>
> >> which means "look at the Xref header and request the article from that
> >> server".
> >Surely thats what you do by default - if I have the article in my
> >overview database, then someone must have fed the headers to me.
>As I wrote, diablo people did not find this important enough to
>implement it. I think it should use the Xref server name as an hint, and
>if the article is not found there look on other servers (for
>redundancy).

Or, somehow store all the servers you got the article from in
overview. That means you have to update overview in-place; however
if you number every storage server (say from 1-32) you can use
a 32-bit bitmap which would be pretty efficient

Mike.

Reply to the list or to miquels at cistron-office.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg)