Possible Solaris 8/INN-2.3.2 Problem

Timothy Demarest demarest at arraycomm.com
Fri May 25 16:38:24 UTC 2001

  Alex> James Ralston <qralston+ml.inn-workers at andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

  >> On Fri, 18 May 2001, Timothy Demarest wrote:
  >>
  >> > However, telnetting to port 119 or trying to run any newsreaders >
  >> does not produce any results.  The newsreaders timeout, the telnet >
  >> attempt doesn't return the INN banner.  Also, 'ctlinnd mode' hangs >
  >> indefinitely, and the shuitdown process doesn't work.  The innd >
  >> process is running.  There are no errors in the logs.
  >>
  >> I'm quite familiar with running INN on Solaris systems, but I've never
  >> encountered behavior like what you're describing.  (I admit I haven't
  >> used ovdb under Solaris, though.)
  >>
  >> Try using truss(1) to follow innd, ctlinnd, et. al. as you run them.
  >> If they're blocking on something, that should give you a good idea
  >> where and what.
  >>

  Alex> A lost wakeup in the pthread mutex stuff at a guess, I gave up and
  Alex> switched to buffindexed, but that seems to have its own problems
  Alex> :-(

Alex:

Exactly! There seems to be problems with lightweight processes and the
mutex locking. I have inn totally disabled right now, so I wasn't able to
get the exact output per James' request. In fact, I can't even run
makehistory now to recereate the ovdb and history files.

I even tried recompiling everything under Solaris 2.5.1, but that hasn't
helped. If there doesn't seem to be a fix for 2.3.2, I'll probably go back
to 2.3.0 which works on my Solaris 8 box. In this case, what do I need to
do to recreated my ovdb and history files from the articles that are in my
spool? The history* and ovdb files currently are probably damaged pretty
badly - what ovdb files can I delete before recreting them?

Tim

--
Timothy Demarest                      ArrayComm, Inc.
demarest at arraycomm.com                2480 North 1st Street, Suite 200