news.daily

Miquel van Smoorenburg list-inn-workers at news.cistron.nl
Thu Nov 8 18:51:43 UTC 2001

In article <Pine.LNX.4.33.0111081249070.17124-100000 at marduk.litech.org>,
Jeffrey M. Vinocur <jeff at litech.org> wrote:

>On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Brendan Crowley (EEI) wrote:
>
>> 0 3 * * * /usr/bin/news.daily expireover lowmark
>> in my /etc/crontab file to clear news.notice periodically.
>> It doesn't seem to have worked.
>
>Ah, it may need to run as the news user.  Generally one would do
>`crontab -u news` to edit the news user's crontab...

Yes, or as /etc/crontab is usually the master crontab, you
might be able to use

0 3 * * * news /usr/bin/news.daily expireover lowmark

If you have a syntax error in /etc/crontab it should be logged
in syslog somewhere, or cron might even have mailed root about it.

Read the manpages for 'man 8 cron' 'man 1 crontab' 'man 5 crontab'
on your system.

Mike.
--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
 and I'm not sure about the former" -- Albert Einstein.

Reply to the list or to miquels at cistron-office.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg)