Correction: INN STABLE 20011014: Expire takes ages

Matti Saarinen mjs at cc.tut.fi
Mon Nov 12 08:58:32 UTC 2001

[ I'm sorry. I should have really read what I wrote before hitting C-c
  C-c... So, please, ignore my previous message the Message-ID of
  which is <qzulmhczblp.fsf at butler.cc.tut.fi>. ]

Hello,

I wonder what causes the problem when expire runs for ages. At the
moment it has been running for a little bit over three days and I
think it'll take at least one day more for it to finish.

I'm running INN STABLE 20011014 on Sun UE450. Articles are stored on
CNFS and overview method used is buffindexed. The system has 512 MB of
memory. The size of the history is over 1 GB (/remember/ is set to 5
days) but the hash and index files do fit in the current memory. Well,
the combined size of the hash and index files is over 300 MB and there
are many readers,too. It may be that the system is paging too much
although vmstat doesn't show that. Also some of the disks are rather
slow (4 GB disks that are over 3 years old.).

So, is there anything I could do without purchasing new hardware. Any
configuration options to check? Tune the file system somehow?
Something else?

--
- Matti -