mailpost and crossposted mailing lists

Scott Russell lnxgeek at us.ibm.com
Fri Nov 16 06:11:54 UTC 2001

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 04:15:40PM +0900, Kenichi Okada wrote:

> In the message <20011113002406.A1624 at us.ibm.com>
> Scott Russell <lnxgeek at us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 10:01:04AM +0900, Katsuhiro Kondou wrote:
> > > Or try mailpost in CURRENT.  It's capable of handling multiple
> > > newsgroups.
>
> > I'm lookin at the perl code for mailpost from CURRENT-20011116 and I want to
> > as about the -c option which is used for cross post support.
>
> > It looks like if I pass -c N to mailpost that the mailpost process will
> > sleep for N seconds then check it's database to see if it can find another
> > dup. If a dup is found it's newsgroup is added to the Newsgroups: header and
> > the message is sent off.
>
> If a dup is found (former mailpost), its newsgroup is added to
> the Newsgroups: header on the database, but the message is not sent off.
>
> Example:
>
> mailpost gateway of testlist at ibm.com -> newsgroup.lists.testlist
> mailpost gateway of othertest at ibm.com -> newsgroup.lists.othertest
>
> 1. mailpost(A) receives testlist at ibm.com.
>    The mailpost(A) adds its newsgroups to the database, and sleeps.
>    Now the Newsgroups: header on the database is `newsgroup.lists.testlist'.
>
> 2. mailpost(B) receives othertest at ibm.com.
>    Then the Newsgroups: header on the database is `newsgroup.lists.testlist'.
>    The mailpost(B) adds its newsgroups to the database, and sleeps.
>    Now the Newsgroups: header on the database is
>    `newsgroup.lists.testlist,newsgroup.lists.othertest'.
>
> 3. The mailpost(A) awakes and exits, because the Newsgroups: header was
>    changed on the database.
>
> 4. The mailpost(B) awakes. The Newsgroups: header was not changed
>    on the database, so the mailpost(B) posts the message actually.

Okay, I gave mailpost a try from inn-CURRENT and couldn't get it working
with the -c 60 option. I could see in the error messages sent to me that it
did queue things and build a complete newsgroup header containing multiple
news groups. The problem is that each time it went to post it would say
there was a duplicate message id and exit out. I think that the first
inbound post is getting posted instead of dropped and once the final cross
posted article is complete it fails to post because of the previous message
being posted already.

--
Regards,
 Scott Russell (lnxgeek at us.ibm.com)