File exists writing SMstore problem

Froilan Mendoza froilanmendoza at prodigy.net
Thu Oct 11 19:50:38 UTC 2001

Hello,

After a couple of days of being up, I had to shutdown our innd server
(ctlinnd shutdown shutdown).  After a few minutes, I started it up again
with the rc.news script.  The log file showed a lot of "File exists" error
like the one below:

Oct 11 10:23:11 nntp2 innd: tradspool: could not open
/usr/local/news/spool/articles/ap/topics/business/121157 File exists
Oct 11 10:23:11 nntp2 innd: SERVER cant store article: File exists

Finally, feeds from our upstream nntp stopped with this error:

File exists writing SMstore file -- throttling

Searching back to the archives, I saw one who had the same problem but
wasn't solved.  I did the last painful recourse of deleting my spool
directory. :(

I guess my questions are:
i) why did this happen?  I have been shutting down this thing a couple of
times before and didn't encounter this problem
ii) what's the workaround?  in my vain attempt to save the other articles,
i tried manually deleting _each_ file .. but seeing the futility of such
effort, i just deleted the whole spool directory
iii) is it because im using the tradspool method?  will this happen if i
choose timehash/timecaf/cnfs?

Thank you, I would appreciate your explanations.

Froilan