startup problem..

Brian Mullaney mullaneb at mccc.edu
Mon Sep 10 00:20:13 UTC 2001

version - current stable version
Solaris 8 - gcc 2.95.3

I had to replace my 1.5.1 machine when the hardware failed, so I decided
to upgrade to the latest version. I built & installed everything according
to the install file. I used CNFS, and created (& checked the permissions
of) the buffer files.

rc.news starts up innd, and I can connect to port 119 - but no banners
from innd ever come up. ctlinnd hangs waiting for some response (which
never comes) from the server.

I have been over the files, and I keep thinking that I'm missing something
easy - but why would ctlinnd have problems?

thanks in advance for any suggestions

Brian