Virtual Hosting

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Tue Sep 11 23:32:46 UTC 2001

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Oleg Amiton wrote:

> Is there the way to create virtual hosting with INN ?
> I mean creating two virtual servers - news.local.com and
> news.foreign.com with different active lists of newsgroups
> on single computer (even with two IP addresses).

Well, you can definitely do it based on the user's IP (especially with
readers.conf in 2.3.x) if that is adequate.

Otherwise...

With one IP definitely not; unlike HTTP there's no mechanism in NNTP for
the client to say what server he intends to reach.

Ah, if you can give it two IP addresses, there's no theoretical problem.
Probably the easiest thing is to run INN on a separate port (usually 433)
for your incoming feeds.  Then have inetd/xinetd be in charge of spawning
nnrpd for readers, and configure it to bind separately to the two IPs on
port 119 and spawn nnrpd with different configurations.

(You might like the patch "nnrpd-readers" from
http://www.litech.org/~jeff/inn-diffs/ to allow you to specify different
configuration files for the various nnrpds your (x)inetd spawns.)

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org