using inn as private/non feed server

Terry Davis tdavis at birddog.com
Tue Sep 18 18:40:35 UTC 2001

Hello!
This is my first crack at an nntp server.

I need an nntp server just for private groups on an intranet.

I setup inn on redhat 7.1 by rpm.  I read the INSTALL file completely but am
having problems with creating groups.

First, it appears as if the rpm puts everything in /var/spool/news.
I did not see a 'db' folder in there so I created one.

I then created a file db/active with these contents:
control 0000000000 0000000000 y
control.cancel 0000000000 0000000000 y
control.checkgroups 0000000000 0000000000 y
control.newgroup 0000000000 0000000000 y
control.rmgroup 0000000000 0000000000 y
junk 0000000000 0000000000 y
to 0000000000 0000000000 y

I used the newsgroups.minimal file as the default.

The INSTALL file did not go into what should go into the 'active.times' file.  I
assumed it should be blank since it looks like dynamic information is going to
go into it.

I then ran:
touch db/history
cd db
makedbz -i

This did not return anything and no new files were created.  This is where I am
stuck.  I am assuming it needs to make some files.

For fun, I tried starting in but got:
Please run makehistory and/or makedbz before starting innd.

Thank you all for any help!

Then I ran:

--
Terry Davis