cycbuffs and expire

Alan Shackelford alan_s at shaknet.net
Mon Sep 24 05:47:35 UTC 2001

Greetings:
   I am preparing to build a new INND server, and am trying to improve it
over the system it is replacing. The old system doesn't seem to keep
articles very long, no matter what I do to the expire configs. I think this
is because we dont have very much storage on the machine, and the articles
are in an array of cycbuffs. I think I have read that cycbuffs have a
"fifo" quality that lets the articles fall into the bit bucket when the
cycbuff gets full, oldest articles first.

   So, my question is, couldn't an admin carefully construct a group of
cycbuffs and place the article hierarchies within them in such a way that
the entire expire process could be bypassed? If so, what becomes of the
overview expire routine? Thanks, and best regards to all.

   Alan Shackelford