hipcrime

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 1 17:34:11 UTC 2002

Pavel V Knyazev <pasha at surnet.ru> writes:

> Hello, everybody.

> Time to time i see a lot of a similar messages with the same subject
> line "newgroup hipcrime.control y frederi108 at aol.com" (except e-mail
> addresses) with the following body.  This is interesting, because they
> appear to be sent from the different hosts (they have different path
> lines).

> Is this spam attempts?

Of a sort.  More like a vandalism attempt.

> Anyway, do i have to worry about this?

No, INN is probably ignoring them.  You can add some additional drop rules
to control.ctl to stop seeing the notifications if you want.  The only
thing to be worried about is if you honor newgroup and rmgroup messages
without any authentication for any hierarchies, in which case some of them
may be acted on and you'd have to clean up afterwards.