Inn 2.3 & nnrpd_auth.pl - cannot post

Patrice Bour patrice.bour at synaptique.com
Thu Apr 4 09:54:22 UTC 2002

Hello there,

I'm new in nntp world, but I'm already encountering some weird stuff ...

I'm trying to link Innd authentication to a LDAP server, thus I'm using
the perl hook through nnrpd_auth.pl. My Inn server is a standalone one,
thus the configuration is a very basic one.

When connecting, I return the following arguments' list requesting
authentication :  ( 480, 1, 1, *, undef )

What is expected happends here : a call to authenticate() which matches
a username/password couple against the LDAP server. When the
authentication is correct I return the following list : ( 281, 1, 1, [ a
list of comma separated authorized newsgroups ], undef )

Till here, everything looks OK. I'm able to read the authorized
newsgroups, a telnet connection comforts me in the fact that the
authentication succeeded  ( return code 281 ) ...

The snag is I'm unable to post anything ... A telnet connection ends as
soon as I'm entering the post command. The logs of pan ( a newsreader )
shows that the client lost connection with the server as soon as the
posting occurs.

When I'm not using the nnrpd_auth.pl stuff, everything works fine. But
the problem seems not to come from the perl stuff because the codes
returned are correct.

I feel a bit lost, and, if anybody has any idea about a path to follow
to overcome the situation, I will be very thanksfull.

Patrice Bour