inn newbie: Configuring NNTP-Posting-Host, et al.

Mohr James james.mohr at elaxy.com
Thu Apr 18 10:53:35 UTC 2002

Hi All!

I need help bad. Our IT-Manager has delayed setting up posting to =
newsgroups
particularly because the NNTP-Posting-Host is set to the host that did =
the
posting (what else?) and he says it reveals too much about the internal
network. Currently we are using MS-Exchange to *read* newsgroups, but =
that
is of very little value as most of the groups we need are already =
archived
on the web. Since he really doesn't care, it just sits. Basically, we =
would
like to see that all posts come from a specific machine (i.e. firewall,
proxy, whatever). Currently we have SuSE Linux as our Email gateway, so =
this
would be a good place to put it.=20

All I can find in inn.conf is addnntppostinghost, which simply turns =
this
on/off if the NNTP-Posting-Host is added. However, I understand that =
some
servers will ignore posts if this is not set. Therefore, we need/want =
to set
it to ensure being able to post everywhere (right?).=20

I have no idea really where to go from here and would appreaciate any =
tips
people can provide.

Best Regards,

Jim Mohr

ELAXY Brokerage & Trading GmbH & Co KG
_________________________________
James Mohr
Help Desk Manager
Am Hofbr=E4uhaus 1
96450 Coburg=20
Germany
Fon +49 (0) 95 61.55 43.0
Fax +49 (0) 95 61.55 43.302
E-Mail: james.mohr at elaxy.com
"Science has promised man power...But, as so often happens when people =
are=20
seduced by promises of power, the price is servitude and impotence.  =
Power
is=20
nothing if it is not the power to choose."
Joseph Weizenbaum of MIT said in reference to Computers.