inn newbie: Configuring NNTP-Posting-Host, et al.

Matus "fantomas" Uhlar uhlar at fantomas.sk
Tue Apr 23 13:34:14 UTC 2002

-> I need help bad. Our IT-Manager has delayed setting up posting to
-> newsgroups particularly because the NNTP-Posting-Host is set to the host
-> that did the posting (what else?) and he says it reveals too much about
-> the internal network. Currently we are using MS-Exchange to *read*
-> newsgroups, but that is of very little value as most of the groups we
-> need are already archived on the web. Since he really doesn't care, it
-> just sits. Basically, we would like to see that all posts come from a
-> specific machine (i.e. firewall, proxy, whatever). Currently we have SuSE
-> Linux as our Email gateway, so this would be a good place to put it.
->
-> All I can find in inn.conf is addnntppostinghost, which simply turns this
-> on/off if the NNTP-Posting-Host is added. However, I understand that some
-> servers will ignore posts if this is not set. Therefore, we need/want to
-> set it to ensure being able to post everywhere (right?).
->
-> I have no idea really where to go from here and would appreaciate any
-> tips people can provide.

NNTP-Porting-Host can be used to trace users who posted any article. I think
disabling that header is bad idea. You should probably rewrite it to be able
detect poster and for people outside not to see IP addreses.

Maybe running local dns and/or mapping IPs to hostnames would be good idea.

--
 Matus "fantomas" Uhlar, uhlar at fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
 Fucking windows! Bring Bill Gates! (Southpark the movie)