Inn installation 2.3.0

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Aug 15 00:15:07 UTC 2002

manoj <manoj at rii.ricoh.com> writes:

> when I restart inn using rc.news file as a news user I got this error in my
> error log file

> Aug 14 16:42:52 congo inndstart: [ID 968305 news.error] seteuid(0) failed:
> Not o
> wner
> Aug 14 16:45:19 congo inndstart: [ID 910776 news.error] can't setgroups: Not
> own
> er
> Aug 14 16:45:19 congo inndstart: [ID 968305 news.error] seteuid(0) failed:
> Not o
> wner

Subject: 3.1. INN won't start after a new installation

The most common cause of this problem is that inndstart isn't setuid root.
inndstart must be installed owned by root and group news, mode 4550.  The
ls -l output for inndstart should look something like:

-r-sr-x---   1 root     news        53768 Jan  8 00:47 inndstart*

inndstart will automatically be installed with the right permissions if
you run make install as root.  If inndstart isn't setuid root, it will log
errors to syslog when it tries to start and cannot.  If you aren't seeing
those error messages in syslog either, you probably haven't set up syslog
properly (see 3.4).

The other most frequent cause of this problem is not correctly following
the instructions in INSTALL on how to set up the initial history database.
After running makedbz, the initial history database files will have names
starting with history.n.  These files must be renamed to remove the ".n"
before innd will start.