tdx-util documentation

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 28 23:16:33 UTC 2002

Joe St Sauver <JOE at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU> writes:
> Hi Russ!

>>    To rebuild the database for a particular newsgroup, use -R.  The -R
>>    option takes a path to a directory which contains all of the
>>    articles for that newsgroup, one per file.  The names of the files
>>    must be the numbers of the articles in that group.  (In other words,
>>    this directory must be a traditional spool directory for that
>>    group.)

> Any chance that a rebuild option for those of us using CNFS will also
> get added? tradover plus CNFS is a pretty common solution that I'd
> really love to see supported, particularly for the rebuild...

I'd love to too, but the problem is that doing a rebuild from CNFS still
requires scanning all of the CNFS buffers since there's no way to get just
the articles for a particular newsgroup without overview.  It will also
have to scan the article for the Xref header to get the article number in
the group, since it can't just use the filename.  That will make a CNFS
rebuild really slow.

I guess the advantage is that you can run it while the server is running,
which you can't really do as easily with makehistory.

I'll think about it.  It's quite a bit more work, unfortunately.