History File over 2GB

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Fri Aug 30 17:37:35 UTC 2002

bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> writes:

> I'd like to a single access interface for all the delete functions,
> since this seems to be done from cancel, buffer rollover, etc.

Yup, agreed.  I'm not sure the best way to handle real-time deletions from
CNFS rollover; somehow, SMstore would have to return a list of tokens that
went away, and I'm not sure how you manage to trace from that to overview
entries.  We don't really have good data structures to enable this right
now.

The other issue here is how to represent things in the history file so
that one can delete things without causing the file to fragment and
without making everything very slow by doing lots of random access to a
2GB file.