History File over 2GB

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Fri Aug 30 20:33:43 UTC 2002

greg andruk <gja at meowing.net> writes:

> Pull cancel message processing out of and feed into the mode cancel
> stuff, and there's suddenly lots of extra time for fetching Xrefs and
> stuff like that.  You get a place to plug in future cancel auth schemes
> for free.

I don't think I understand.  MODE CANCEL is still an interface to innd.
Why does it help any to have that part of innd doing expensive work rather
than the article processing part?

Or do you mean offloading that support as well, into an overchan-like
daemon that just processes cancels?  Hm.  I think all of our overview
methods lock against multiple writers, so that might work.