Delete news messages

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Sun Aug 4 04:46:47 UTC 2002

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, Ryan Parlee wrote:

> How do I delete messages from my news server as an administrator?  Besides
> simply deleting them from the "./news/spool/articles/" directory.  I would
> like to just be able to open up the news folder in my news reader client,
> press delete, and have the message removed.  Can it be this simple?

Well, your newsreader surely has a "Cancel message" command.  Your server
is probably honoring cancels (unless you've disable that), in which case
that would suffice.

Except that many newsreaders try to verify that you originally posted the
message you're trying to cancel.  Certainly try cancels first; if you
compiled your newsreader yourself you should be able to disable such a
feature without much difficulty, otherwise, you might try asking in
news.software.readers for help (explain why you want to cancel other
people's messages so nobody gets annoyed about it).

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org