cycbuff questions

Alan Shackelford ashackel at jhmi.edu
Mon Aug 5 17:36:41 UTC 2002

Other than the obvious system related limits, is there a inn-specific
limit on:

size of a single cycbuff file
number of total cycbuffs used
number of cycbuffs in one metacycbuff

?

I am having trouble starting a new build of innd, and the logs reflect
problems with the storage initialization. I feel like the rest of the
setup is OK, but I can't really be sure.

Here are some of the vitals:

Red Hat 7.something, kernel 2.2.16-22
INN-2.3.2
3 external SCSI drives, each with 15 2GB cycbuffs

/var/log/news/news.crit sometimes says:
SERVER can't dbzinit /var/news/db/history No such file or directory

even though the file clearly exists and is accessible to news.

/var/log/news.notice says the same thing.

On the last attempt at starting, /var/log/news/news.err reported:

Aug  5 12:27:48 news makehistory[703]: CNFS-sm: Mismatch: read 0x20c400
length for cycbuff /extdsk1/one
Aug  5 12:27:48 news makehistory[703]: SM storage method 'cnfs' failed
initialization
Aug  5 12:27:48 news makehistory[703]: SM one or more storage methods
failed initialization

--
Alan V. Shackelford     Senior Systems Software Engineer
Enterprise Services Group   The Johns Hopkins University
Baltimore, Maryland USA  410-516-6773  ashackel at jhmi.edu