cycbuff questions

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 5 19:50:25 UTC 2002

Alan Shackelford <ashackel at jhmi.edu> writes:

> Other than the obvious system related limits, is there a inn-specific
> limit on:

> size of a single cycbuff file

No, although be sure you've built INN with large file support if you're
using cycbuffs larger than 2GB, and be aware that >2GB raw devices often
don't work.

> number of total cycbuffs used
> number of cycbuffs in one metacycbuff

No.  The main limit you'll run into here is the maximum number of open
file descriptors.

> /var/log/news/news.crit sometimes says:
> SERVER can't dbzinit /var/news/db/history No such file or directory

How big is your history file?

> On the last attempt at starting, /var/log/news/news.err reported:

> Aug  5 12:27:48 news makehistory[703]: CNFS-sm: Mismatch: read 0x20c400
> length for cycbuff /extdsk1/one

That usually implies that your CNFS cycbuff size has changed since it was
initialized, although I don't know what would cause that.