Problems after crash due to power break

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Sun Dec 8 00:35:59 UTC 2002

On Sat, 7 Dec 2002, Russ Allbery wrote:

> I want to try to make CNFS a bit more robust in the presence of crashes,
> but it's tricky to do that and still keep it fast.  One really doesn't
> want to be constantly msyncing everything.

The API doesn't guarantee any writes of mmap'd data will make it to disk
(except for msync() and munmap()).  But what do implementations actually
do?  (Never write, write after some time interval, write after a certain
amount of data is ready, write whenever the disk channel is idle, ...)

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org