Dependencies, libstorage, and libinnhist

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Tue Dec 10 18:26:05 UTC 2002

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Jeffrey M Vinocur <jeff at litech.org> writes:
>
> > .c.o:
> >         $(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(INPUT_AND_OUTPUT)
>
> > where depending on what autoconf finds, $INPUT_AND_OUTPUT is set to
> > "-c -o $@ $<" normally and "-c $<; mv $(@F) $@".
>
> If we don't want to require libtool (and I lean in that direction), we can
> rip off the test from libtool and use it ourselves for the non-libtool
> case and do something like the above when we're not using libtool.

Sounds good, as long as I don't have to do it :-)

> > There's a big caveat, though.  This only works if no two .o files have
> > the same basename.  I figure we can rename the things in tests/ with no
> > hassle,
>
> No need; that's exactly why all the source files in tests/ end in -t.  :)

Not xwrite.c :-)

> The low-hanging fruit is the storage and history APIs, where we've already
> had a ton of dependency handling problems because of recursive make, and
> where there's nothing really gained from being able to build the
> individual subdirectories of storage/ or history/ by themselves.  There
> aren't any collisions under storage/ or under history/, so we don't have
> to worry about that issue there.  I think it's definitely worth it for
> those.

Very good.

> I don't think converting the whole tree is probably worth it right now;
> the other dependency problems are occasionally mildly annoying, but aren't
> that severe,

My sense of inner beauty wants it to be right, but not *urgently* per se.

> and we lose more by converting the entire tree since it often
> *is* very convenient to be working on something in the nnrpd/ directory of
> an otherwise built tree and just do make warnings in that subdirectory to
> recompile the stuff one is working on (for example).

Well, as long as everything else is unchanged, it still won't be
recompiled -- make warnings doesn't force that (make profiled does, not
that anyone does *that* often).  But yes, I know what you mean.

I wish make's -o flag supported globs, or something.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org