History problems update

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Sun Dec 15 03:50:12 UTC 2002

Ok, I've been having history problems (previous thread was "expireover" or
something like that), which I need to track down first so I can run
expire, and second so we can figure out if this is something that needs to
be fixed before 2.4.

I'm too tired to think this through, so I'll just give a clear report and
let other people think about it...

I just wiped history and overview, and am running makehistory now.  It's
spitting out lots of lines like:

    makehistory: dbzstore duplicate message-id
    /usr/local/news/db/history:[D38DEF2CF6E8681CFB3005184F282193]@64397994
    No such file or directory

and in news.notice I'm getting lots of this:

    Dec 14 22:09:11 puck makehistory[19219]: tradspool: can't determine
    class:  @05000000009700010FB30000000000000000@: (null)

Ok, now makehistory (still going) is giving a few dozen lines like:

    makehistory: cannot write overview data
    "@050000000113000001040000000000000000@"

And news.notice still has lots of the same can't-determine messages.

Finished, now makedbz gives some dozens of lines like:

    makedbz: duplicate message ID [D38DEF2CF6E8681CFB3005184F282193] in
    history text

Ok, cross your fingers, restart INN.  Nope.  Still having trouble
retrieving certain articles by Message-ID, even though I can get them by
article number.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org